...One day, Len got really really bored. She didn't want post her works on DA. Neither does she wanna post in FAC. She just want a quiet space for herself. Somewhere where no one will comment or spy on. So she made this :P

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Frame u...



Yea, just something that is really beautiful... A collaboration across borders... Mum was asking Ting to search it up the internet when she saw Feng Huang TV featuring it as the most watched videos online. It was said that the producer spent 10 years+ to gather all the clips for the video. Wonder if that old guy is still alive? O_o
(More info here!)

Finally got the job call and went for a day of framing.. kids work. Yea, Huiying intro a temp job to me at the art school she is currently teaching in. It's an education company that goes around the kindergardens to conduct art lessons.

The lady Maya showed me to the office nearby Tanjong Pagar MRT, quite a small and quiet place. Met an uncle who just started work 10 days ago, an admin there.. pretty holy guy who even brought the bible into the office nia.. After being briefed about my work, I set off to do it. It's just to prepare the kids' artworks for their mini exhibitions in their school. Given a whole lot of black paper frames, I had to stick these frames onto the artwork... I realised how a good piece of work could end up all ugly with a bad frame. Some artworks are pretty big (the kids love to draw big). Having a small frame kind of makes the artwork look crammed up... so I had to cut my own frames for quite a number of works.... Couldn't finish up the pile, but at least the more pressing ones are done.



Two of the works that I kind of like.

While pasting the artworks, I kind of realised these kids are pretty cute. For every piece of artwork, the kids would write their own names behind. Many had their names all scribbled behind, the writings about 5 cm tall... there was a boy who wrote his name big enough to fill up the entire page. Some drew some cute motifs along with the name, most names are written in caps, and there's one who wrote his name in english, chinese and even han yu pin yin.... talk about the government's campaign... maybe it worked for him.

Another thing I realised...was that Gradsign was a pretty good art school after all. Looking through the artworks, I sensed some monotony... as if one can imagine the teacher showing the kids an example and all of them follow it exactly. For the different projects from 4 different schools, taught by 3 different teachers... the colors, the techniques, the items, at times even the positioning of the design elements are totally similar for all pieces within a single project. I was quite surprised... For the two kids at home, I can immediately tell apart which kid did which. For the works that I framed up, I couldn't see much of a difference. Maybe I'm not that skilled to really differentiate that, or maybe they are doing still life, resulting in the similarity. However, I really wonder how to even teach art... Like what Mr Ho said last time when Gradsign was still around, it's hard to teach art. You hope they do this, but if you interfere too much, it's not their work anymore, their uniqueness gone. And there are the parents who will wonder what are the kids doing in art schools if they don't see results, in which these results are not necessarily to draw like da vinci. Argh.

No comments: