...One day, Len got really really bored. She didn't want post her works on DA. Neither does she wanna post in FAC. She just want a quiet space for herself. Somewhere where no one will comment or spy on. So she made this :P

Thursday, April 01, 2010

The transition from one stablity to another...



Yes.. if I have a ship cloth with me, possibly I'll be hanging it up at this very moment... haiz. The past few days had been tormenting, the preparation of the presentation was just not going right for me. Having borrowed up to 10 books (7 from the national library and 3 from the school, not counting the photocopied parts from five books found in the school and nation library's reference section), I was maybe overloaded with information and unsure of where to steer this presentation towards. Until the last 8 hours before I had to leave for lessons, I was still in a daze. Knowing my eyes were tired and strained, I tried to sleep, but tossed and turned on my bed, just couldn't. My head was still on the presentation. I have yet to organise my presentation, neither have I even touched the study materials for the day's quiz. So dead.

Tried focusing repeatedly on prayers in my mind (yes, similar to counting sheep) but the words just got jumbled up. Maybe I did sleep a bit, or maybe time just flies past while one just lie on the bed, I got up to face the terror again. Aye, ship cloths... but what? I was constantly asking myself what did I want to focus. The ship motif on these cloths? The region of Lampung? What about the fabric? It was about focusing and zoning in, down to the minimal and specific, shaving off the redundant stuff. After surveying my materials again, the stuff that really appealed to me was the ship motif, and the meaning they portray to these people. However, the way to show these meanings were more obviously symbolised in the rituals which the fabrics that held the motifs were used. There I found it, my theme.

Scribbled away on paper my script of the day, which turned out like a messy rushed out secondary school student's essay. Tried to visualise all that I had wanted to say being said by me, in tha room, with the tutor probably waiting to catch anything I've said that was vague or misinterpreted. Left with two hours, chiong out presentation slides... Zoned down my images to just four examples (initially just wanted to show 2!), fixed with details.

Mum returned with some roti prata and coffee after bringing Yang to school. T_T just touched by her actions...



To commemorate... the very first time I made maximum use of my library cards... Returned two school books already... soon gonna dump the rest into the bookdrops.



The three books at the bottom were referred to for overall knowledge of the subject and color plates, but the real bulk of useful text comes from the reference books from the National Library. Two were early scholarly texts that were written regarding the Indonesian textiles, from which the other books in the photo referenced to. Another was one randomly chanced upon, but it's information surveyed specifically the Lampung region's history and fabric. I was thrilled to find them there, though the book that would have been very useful for this research by Gittinger regarding ship cloths was not found in any libraries.

Unexpectedly, the presentation turned out fine and I was surprised he didn't stop me at any instance and bombard me with questions. >_< Was waiting for that... Anxious yea, since I was the first to present, and the tutor appeared to be in a relatively bad mood when some students had been handing in their quiz papers late despite warning them about his rejection late submissions. I wondered was it that he gave up on reprimanding students, or was it because the subject I touched upon was not very much explained in his lectures. Yea, I stammered, and repeated certain stuff, wonder if that bored people out; forgot to add in some more details due to the roughly drafted script, pausing unexpectedly at times and had minimal information on my slides.

At the end, he asked a few questions, probably to make sure that I was on the right track of thinking when approaching the subject, and offered some views to questions that I was unable to find an answer to. Why is the woman associated with the profane...? It was something that I was shocked to see being repeated in the few early sources, but it was never really expanded upon. No written evidence. Or possibe I overlooked that, since in the search of a specific, I skipped some other details regarding the other parts of Indonesia. All in all, it has been a tiring day... Great to learn some stuff regarding presentation. A tiring process of information digging, assimilating, repackaging and presenting.... for that 15 minutes. Argh. An art yea.... just like an art.

Next up... animation history essay. The library again. Most probably the nearby vcd shop too.

No comments: