...One day, Len got really really bored. She didn't want post her works on DA. Neither does she wanna post in FAC. She just want a quiet space for herself. Somewhere where no one will comment or spy on. So she made this :P

Monday, November 17, 2008

Western Art History Examination....

Oh yea, ONE DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD
Whew... it was a last minute work... researching for one and half days for info on the painting that was of interest to me. The very first one that came to mind was Hans Holbein the Younger's 'The Ambassadors', but knowing that someone had previously done a super intensive research on that piece for presentation earlier, I decided to do something else...

Taa daaah!



Yeap, the Arnolfini Marriage (or Double Portrait or wedding or bethrothal etc..). Dunno why I chose this one, probably due to the Desperate Housewives Opening sequence, this picture kind of got into my head years ago when I first saw it. Didn't know it was so full of mysteries until I went to search up some information about it. So... here are some useful links which I stumbled upon while gathering info, for those who are also doing some research for assignments on this picture!

On the picture, with some pictures for comparisons


On Jan Van Eyck


An image resource webbie that has some background information on the images


Following from Wikipedia, this site provides views from Craig Harbison, who is a deep researcher of the painting


Following from Wikipedia, The Arnolfini double portrait: a simple solution - Critical Essay, proposing that the painting is partly a memorial portrait


An online book about the Double Portrait


Excerpt from Gombrich's Story of Art on the Arnolfini Double Portrait

That's about it from me... And something to 'commemorate' the end of this hectic day...

Yea, messed up my signature there. The crumpled up paper there is actually tissue paper, next to some yellow flu pills... I had been suffering from flu for the past one week. Nasty flu.. keep coming on and off... And heck, gonna go sleep now and carry on with my literature studies tomorrow.....T_T

No comments: