The most tortured piece of work to date:

The sketch on watercolor paper. Pretty fired up after seeing a picture done beautifully with salt technique. The texture was pretty much of the same feel as I wanted for the sketch, so I tried it out... I was unsure of the color that I want though... Wanted some moody feel, so...

Ack. Regret. Gave the surface a wash after that, and didn't know the pencil lines can still be seen. Somehow, I couldn't get rid of the bottom textures, but it looks pretty nice. Way too much salt there... and I wonder if the amount of water mattered to give the effect I want...?

Tried again... And it turned out ok. Back to the old palette.. I guess.

Added the lines with the water soluble ink (on purpose... Took me sometime to decide, cos I wonder if it'll come out too dark for the picture.) And it did... so I sprayed water on the picture, dried it, do it again... and decided to try the salt again. Dunno a good or bad thing, but I wanted to test how far the paper can go with that. And this time, the effect was minimal. Ah well... not good, destroy.

Couldn't think of any better way.

So shuang.

Gotta admit, this paper is amazing... the introductory paragraph on the watercolor pad was not kidding about 'extremely forgiving watercolor paper'.... Think it was ran under the tap many times, crushed and squeezed 5 or 6 times, washed with soap twice and it's still in one piece. O_o... During the process, I thought of smearing some prussian blue goauche on it, hoping maybe it get into the paper or something... Got a bit carried away with the washing, didn't realise how much water I've wasted there... and decided to stop and leave it to dry.

The ink lines then looked kind of faded, quite what I was hoping to get when I inked the picture. The texture on the back page looks even nicer....

Left it to dry while I tried to concentrate on working out the scenes for the collaborated animation.... Due to the wet weather, the paper didn't dry, and it was already night... So I just went ahead with the coloring. Watercolors won't work anymore on this one... since the translucence will just drown in the blues... my next immediate option was gouache, though I have no idea how to go about with it as the opacity will definitely cover up the lines...

Turned out pretty fine.

Yay! Feels like I ran one big round... heck.



No comments:
Post a Comment