...One day, Len got really really bored. She didn't want post her works on DA. Neither does she wanna post in FAC. She just want a quiet space for herself. Somewhere where no one will comment or spy on. So she made this :P

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Snow White and the 7 Dwarves

Apart from my library trip yesterday, I came across a DVD sale in West Mall. Since I'm now doing 2D animations for 20 hours per week, I might as well get into the habit of watching more animations. After a lunch discussion over animations with my 'colleagues', I realised there is a lot that I have yet to watch. Indeed, anime is not for the animation, but its ideas and poses. One will have to look to the west for basics, and life for the logic of it. Anyways, back to West mall.... there wasn't a large collection of animation dvds there, maybe cos it's the last two days of the sale. The animations were going at a price of $20 for two, relatively cheap, I think, for the original english version. So naturally, Snow White comes first on my list of 'to watch and study' animation. I haven't watch 'Finding Nemo' (not kidding there), but having seen the pastel color layouts for the show in the recent Pixar exhibition, I thought it'll be good for me to see how that was translated to the screen.

Just finished watching Snow White. And yea, fairy tale indeed.... One can get away with a house intrusion crime if you clean up the place for them. Lightning doesn't always strike the highest places too. (Maybe 'evil' alone is a lightning rod itself.) The most realistic thing was probably: Never say 'don't' if one is wishing against something from happening. (which is quite true cos your mind with concentrate on the words after 'don't'.)

While watching the show, I came to realised how much it had affected the shows after it.

Check out the behaviour of the witch:



And then take a look at this guy:
Video of Gollum talking to himself.

I was amazed at how similar the 'speaking to yourself into the camera' worked for villians, even after 60+ years. And yea, the one character that stood out the most was Grumpy. Keeping the stubborn front but the body says otherwise (another formula that worked). The prince was quite an extra, but he is needed to give the story a happily ever after.

The one thing I was quite disappointed in was the turtle. A lot of cameos was given to this little guy, most probably to show its slow pace and mind to everything that's happening around it. I was hoping he'll do some awesome job for the gang maybe towards the end, but it never happened. Other than it's efforts always going down the drain, it didn't do anything else significant. The building up of it's slow character and the attention that went into it somehow just vanished, unjustified, with the ending of the film. Maybe I'm asking too much out of something made so long ago, but even the deers that got less individual camera time had an important role in the plot. Why can't this turtle be more than a gag?

Aye, I went quite off-track. Hehe, hopefully there will be more dvd sales. XD

No comments: