...One day, Len got really really bored. She didn't want post her works on DA. Neither does she wanna post in FAC. She just want a quiet space for herself. Somewhere where no one will comment or spy on. So she made this :P

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Start of Exams!

Yea... finally, the comic was done... or rather, 75% done... I was about 10 minutes late for class, and somehow, wasn't very frantic about the grade drop and not being able to present my work. Maybe just tired to be even anxious about all these things, but hey, I was given the chance to present, though the last one... But maybe cos I was the last one, no one figured out that the work was unfinished, since everyone kind of tuned out a bit due to the previous presentations dragging the class on for extra 2 hours.

The past three days right after the book was... haiz. The first two days was about orgainising everything, planning the sequence of the story, drawing out the panels. I was kind of tired out by the previous project that I didn't realise that the side effects of staying up late was coming until the head start to numb. Mum boiled some herbal drinks for me, which kind of kept me going too. (T_T) The panel drawing took quite long, and I had to frequently stop to check where the story was heading, since there wasn't any dialogue in the comic and there isn't a thumbnail outline or anything to guide me. All the panels done were final.

Didn't force myself there, the occasional blank outs were tormenting but I just wasn't coming out with anything, head over to the pc to maple abit. T_T Idiot lent me a wa 106 bow.... T_T Never touched an over wa 100 bow.... T_T Maybe after the 3D presentation on 27th, I'll start playing a bit with my new toy....

Anyways, I realised this shift in focus kind of helped a bit to look at the work with new ideas for the panels. Even tossed in an impromptu idea of a bird cage, though I wonder if it might end up confusing others, but it kind of added interest to the supposed monotonous panels of only head and expressions and more heads. (I'll be putting the comic together in flash once I had the time to go figure out that software...)

Was still inking the work on the last day, and by late night, I realised I'll have to get it colored in 10 hours. First try was a colored version, what I initially wanted. Took the color palette of NDS game 'Professor Layton' and tried slapping it there.



It was coming out fine, but took too long. Stopping to check the time, I realised it took me an hour to get to that, which kind of forced me to look for another style. Tried painting it sepia in digital, but accidentally overwrite the file I was working for the next half hour, and decided that I should just scrap digital and do it traditionally.



It was a bet, I doubt I could get everything done by 6am, then it was almost 1 in the morning. Printed one piece of the linework and tested to see it the epson ink was waterproof, and it is. Organised and cleaned up all the panels in photoshop, printed them out with a slight brown tone, and started painting. It was about 3am then, quite a mad race against time to get all about 40 pages done. Couldn't refine it and there were some important details that I couldn't do, since it was already nearing 7 and I have yet to cut the papers and bind them up. The next 45 minutes was just cutting and trimming, finding a nice cover from the bundles of paper on my table (where's the table in the mess...? lol..) Realised I haven't eat, didn't bathe for the day before (did I brush my teeth...), just drain a cup of milo, changed my clothes, grab my things and rush off to school (nope, no running there...)

On the way, I know I was late, Yin Huey and Siew Khim were sms-ing me to ask my location, cos the prof had started the lesson. I was dozing off on the bus when I read them, but was kind of giggling inside too.. the fact that they are more anxious than me... Yea, I quite gave up on even presenting the work (didn't even plan out how to do it too...) But hey, things turned out fine. Was pretty anxious before my presentation at the end, but just babbled on. Up till that point, I wasn't sure if my work had any major intention behind it... other than it being a journey of a girl through which she realises her problem and makes a decision.

Wonder if it was intentional, but the prof took the oppurtunity there to give us some boost for the next three years, a lesson about moving forward even if you go dry... Haha, learnt that for the price of a night's sleep. It was my first time not sleeping at all... The previous record in nyp was 1 hr sleep, and I end up feeling all floaty then. Funny how one can remain all awake and 'energised' for over 30 hours until you closed your eyes and dozed off a few minutes later.

Time to look back and think what to look out for next time... even with all the confidence lectures... ... shake head ar... Just one question mark to stop me from completing 3 projects, but still gotta move forward... Seeing that WSC 'settle and go, dun think twice' spirit there...

Yea, sleep. That was ten hours of it... enough for now, I guess.

No comments: